FirstEnergy Oceanview and Larrabee
This project involved the construction of a 16-mile, 230kV transmission line as well as significant upgrades at both the Oceanview and Larrabee Substations. The project was completed on time despite unusually severe time constraints caused by difficulty in securing the necessary permits for the foundation work in each substation. That resulted in a significantly compressed schedule with work, including the completion of all commissioning requirements, being completed in less than three months.
Due to the time constraints, it was necessary have the concrete supplier maintain operations 24/7 for the duration of the project. Under the direct leadership of J.W. Didado’s substation management team, construction work at both substations was completed simultaneously without any incident or unplanned circuit operations. All of the remaining commissioning work was completed by May 22. Below is a summary of the work that was required.
FirstEnergy Corp. – JCP&L
J.W. Didado Electric, LLC
FirstEnergy Engineering Dept.
TOTAL NUMBER OF WORKERS
scope of work
- Move a 30,000# A-Frame structure to a new foundation
- Disconnect/reconnect a hot fiberoptic control cable utilized for SCADA control of FirstEnergy’s transmission system without an outage
- Install 4 – 230kV Motor-Operated Air Break (MOAB) switches
- Install 18 – 230kV disconnect switches
- Install 3 – 230kV breakers
- Install 55 foundations and steel structure associated with the substation expansion
- Set a new control house
Oak Mound | Waldo Run
FirstEnergy Center for Advanced Energy Technology
Involta Mission Critical Facility
AKRON (Corporate Headquarters)
1033 Kelly Ave.
Akron, Ohio 44306
7822 Morgan Road
Liverpool, NY 13090
HOW WE BUILD
COMMERCIAL & INDUSTRIAL
TRANSMISSION & DISTRIBUTION
EMERGENCY & STORM RESTORATION
GO ON STORM WITH US
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL